New York State Department of Financial Services
The Department of Financial Services (DFS) is seeking candidates to fill the position of Deputy Superintendent for Life Bureau in the Insurance Division. Under the general direction and supervision of the Executive Deputy Superintendent for the Insurance Division, the incumbent of this position will function with great independence and serve as a valued member of the Superintendent’s team in the following capacities:
• Provides the Superintendent and Executive Deputy Superintendent with advice on issues related to the life insurance industry and regulatory process.
• Makes recommendations that are relevant to the issues based on a thorough understanding of the short‐ and long‐range impact.
• Oversees the activities and operations of the Life Business Unit, with responsibilities including oversight of the licensing, National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) accreditation, and examination and regulation of all life insurers and related entities.
• Presides at or participates in meetings and conferences with top management of DFS, insurers, representatives of industry organizations, the NAIC, other governmental agencies and the public.
• Ensures that the programs of the Governor and the agency are effectively and expeditiously implemented.
• Acts for and in place of the Superintendent or Executive Deputy Superintendent as necessary.
At least five years of experience working for a company in the life insurance sector, or at least ten years of experience working in life insurance regulation; professional qualifications as risk manager, underwriter, claims specialist or legal officer; and demonstrated ability to manage large teams and multiple projects simultaneously.
This is an appointment to a position in the exempt jurisdictional class. As such, the incumbent of this position
would serve at the pleasure of the appointing authority.
To Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than December
31, 2019. Please include (Box DepSupLIFE-07200) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.