New York State Department of Financial Services
The Department of Financial Services (DFS) seeks applicants for the position of Assistant Deputy Superintendent for Property Bureau (Director Financial Services Programs 3) located in New York City. Under the general direction and supervision of the Deputy Superintendent for the Property Bureau, the incumbent of this position will act as a liaison for the Deputy Superintendent and will function with great independence within the Property Bureau as a member of the senior management team. Duties may include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Oversees Financial, Market and Actuarial sections comprised of over 200 examiners, analysts, actuaries and staff;
• Establishes goals and priorities, monitors performance, and coordinates the work of the Property Bureau’s units and ensures the Bureau’s work objectives and priorities are met;
• Directs the activities of the Market Conduct Unit;
• Works with Executive staff in proposing, developing and implementing policy initiatives of the Department;
• Advises upper management of emerging issues in the property/casualty insurance industry and the ongoing activities of the Bureau;
• Represents the Department and Bureau in various forums, including with other governmental agencies, the media and industry groups. Prepares speeches or talking points for upper management and Executive staff; represents the Department at the NAIC meetings, including participating on task forces and working groups to ensure that the Department’s positions are properly represented;
• Assists in preparing advice to the Superintendent and Executive staff, and participates in meetings to update the status of various initiatives;
• Coordinates with the Property Financial, Market, and Actuarial Sections for combined Property Bureau projects and with other Bureaus or Divisions for broader projects; and
• Carries out special projects and assignments as deemed appropriate by Property Bureau management and Executive.
A bachelor’s degree and at least five years of experience in the property & casualty insurance industry with three years of managerial supervision in any field. The ideal candidate will be an attorney or will have actuarial and/or accounting experience.
This is an appointment to a position in the exempt jurisdictional class. As such, the incumbent of this position would serve at the pleasure of the appointing authority.
To Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than December 31, 2019, to the email address listed below. Please include (Box ADSPB-10125) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.